Coffee Dates are a great way to build a relationship with a new connection, in an informal setting.
They give you an opportunity to provide an overview of yourself, your business, and who would be a good referral for you (ideal client).
If your coffee date was not previously familiar with your business, these dates pose a great opportunity to become referable . . . now and in the future.
If possible, try to have your coffee date at one of your workplaces. This mental picture and understanding of where either of you conduct business will go a long way toward helping each of you think of each other when a possible referral comes along.
After your date, ask yourself, “Who do I know who might benefit from this person’s business/ services/ products?” Also, consider other resources or supportive connections you can provide.
Let’s all see how we can support one another in business. You may feel that coffee dates interfere with your valuable time, but instead think about how you are marketing yourself for the future. What you do today determines what you will be doing in 90 days from now.
Not sure what to ask your coffee date? Here are a few helpful questions to get to know each other better:
1. How did you get started in the _______ business?
2. What do you enjoy most about your profession?
3. What separates you and your company from the competition?
4. What advice would you give someone just starting out in your business?
5. What one thing would you do with your business if you knew you could not fail?
6. What significant changes have you seen take place in your profession through the years?
7. What do you see as the coming trends in the (name type of business) business?
8. Describe the strangest or funniest incident you’ve experienced in your business.
9. What ways have you found to be most effective for promoting your business?
10. What one sentence would you like people to use in describing the way you do business?
Be open to digging deeper into certain questions that might uncover certain gems of information to mutually help you both elevate your business.